Lemony Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream
- 4 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 cup unsalted, softened butter, in chunks
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup half and half
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped garden parsley and green onions
- Scrub and rinse potatoes well, then chop them into quarters and rinse under cold water.
- Fill large saucepan with potatoes, then fill with water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to boil over medium-high heat and cook uncovered until tender to the fork, 25-30 minutes. Drain, return potatoes to pan and shake off excess moisture.
- Add butter and mash it in, coating potatoes lightly. Add cream and mash until smooth, adding the half and half to thin and smooth potatoes if needed.
- Finish with lemon juice, zest, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Gently fold in sour cream, leaving ribbons of white. Garnish dish with chopped parsley and green onions.