Ham and Cabbage
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 small head red or green cabbage
- 4 teaspoons butter (or low fat substitute)
- 1 cup sour cream (or low fat substitute)
- ½ cup grated Swiss cheese (or low fat substitute)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- finely ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 four-ounce fully cooked, deboned ham slices
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- Coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cut the cabbage into quarters, then split each quarter in half. Place 1 inch water in a deep skillet, add the cabbage, and turn the burner heat to high. Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat, pour off the water, and keep covered.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, and add the sour cream, Swiss cheese, parsley, and pepper to taste. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Lightly grease a shallow baking pan
- Arrange the ham and cabbage in the pan, sprinkle with the green pepper, and pour the sauce over all. Sprinkle with coarsely ground black pepper to taste.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve with spicy or regular mustard.