Skillet Kielbasa Macaroni and Cheese
Recipe type: Entree
Homemade macaroni and cheese usually requires using (and washing) multiple dishes. To cut down on the work, we prepare our rich, satisfying macaroni and cheese in just one pan.
- 1 lb smoked beef sausage, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Salt & pepper
- 3¾ cups water
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked, 12oz)
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded-12oz
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded-8oz
- Brown sausage in 12" non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, 6-8 minutes Transfer to paper towel lined plate.
- Add bread crumbs and ¼ teaspoon each of salt & pepper to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl and wipe out skillet.
- Bring water, 1-1/4 cups evaporated milk, and ½ teaspoon salt to simmer over medium-high heat. Add pasta and cook, stirring often, until al dente, 8-10 minutes.
- Whisk remaining evaporated milk, hot saucer and cornstarch together in a bowl, then stir into pasta. Bring to simmer and good until begins to thicken, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add cheeses and sausage. Sprinkle with bread crumbs & enjoy!