Dutch Oven Jambalaya
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound smoked sausage, cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- ½ large onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning, or to taste
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in the sausage, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, and celery; season with salt and Cajun seasoning. Cook and stir until the vegetables are soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the rice until evenly coated in the vegetable mixture, then pour in the tomatoes with juice, garlic, chicken broth, bay leaves, and thyme leaves. Bring to a simmer and simmer 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, stir in the shrimp, and cook 10 minutes uncovered until the shrimp turn pink and are no longer translucent in the center.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaves before serving.