Dutch Oven Short Ribs
- 5 lbs beef short ribs cut into 3 inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 large onion cut into thick slices and separated
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 5 carrots peeled and chunked
- 4 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
- 16 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- Heat oil in a 12 inch Dutch oven. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper and brown the ribs on all sides. Once ribs are browned, transfer to paper towel lined plate.
- Stir onions and carrots into the Dutch oven. Cook onions and carrots until they are lightly browned. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, brown sugar and beef broth. Stir and bring to a low boil, let simmer for 2 minutes to meld flavors. Turn stove to a low/med heat and slowly stir in browned ribs.
- Put lid on Dutch oven and braise ribs for 2 to 2½ hours.