Arroz Con Pollo
Recipe type: Entree
This classic Latin dish, which means “rice with chicken” is like a simplified version of paella. Saffron-infused rice is simmered with onions, peppers, and tomatoes and topped with pan-seared chicken for a simple and comforting one-pan meal.
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) chicken pieces, skin on and bone in
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups (32 fl oz/1 l) chicken broth
- ½ tsp saffron threads
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 large jalapeño chile, seeded and chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups (14oz/440 g) long-grain white rice
- In a large bowl, stir together the garlic, red pepper flakes, vinegar, 1 tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper. Add the chicken pieces, toss to coat, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- In a large frying pan with a lid, heat the oil over medium heat. Remove the chicken and brush off the marinade, reserving it in the bowl. Arrange the chicken in the pan, skin side down, and cook with without turning, until golden brown, 10-15 minutes. Turn the chicken, cover the pan, and cook until golden on the second side, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, warm the broth over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat, crumble in the saffron, and let steep.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and pour off all but 2 Tbsp fat from the pan. Add the onion, bell peppers, and jalapeño and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the cumin, bay leaves, and rice and cook, stirring constantly, until the rice has absorbed the pan juices, 3-5 minutes. Pour the reserved marinade and saffron broth into the pan and stir briefly. Place the chicken on top. Raise the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the chicken in opaque throughout, the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.