This is very good. We used turkey sausage as we couldn’t find chicken sausage. Also the recipe calls for 1/2 lb. of sausage but I think next time I will use 1 lb. I also let the individuals add the red pepper flakes as it can make the soup very spicy. Also try and find thick spaghetti noodles as show in the photo.
Italian pasta and bean soup with chicken sausage (WW)
- Large soup pot
- 31 oz Canned white beans Small variety, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- ⅛ oz Raw sage About 3 to 4 medium leaves, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves Minced
- ½ lb Cooked chicken sausage We used Turkey sausage
- 28 oz Canned crushed tomatoes With puree
- 1 Tablespoon Canned tomato paste
- 2½ Cups Water
- 3 Cups Canned chicken broth
- 1 Teaspoon Table salt Or to taste
- ¼ Teaspoon Red pepper flakes Or to Taste
- 3 oz Uncooked whole-wheat spaghetti Broken into small pieces
- Puree half of beans in a blender; set aside.
- Coat bottom of a large soup pot with cooking spray. Add oil; heat over medium heat. Add sage and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sausage; cook, stirring frequently, until sausage starts to brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add pureed beans, whole beans, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, water, broth, salt and pepper to pot. Bring soup to a boil; stir in spaghetti. Continue cooking soup according to time specified by pasta manufacturer.
- Season to taste with salt and red pepper flakes. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.